6 Homeopathy medicines to stop nail biting
6 Homeopathy medicines to stop nail biting
Nail-biting, also known as onychophagia, is a common habit that affects both adults and children. It can be a result of stress, anxiety, boredom, or simply a habit that has developed over time.
Nail biting: How to kick the habit? Some Tips
Here are some strategies and remedies to help stop nail-biting:
- Awareness and mindfulness: The first step to breaking the habit is to become aware of when and why you are biting your nails. Pay attention to the triggers and try to be more mindful about your behaviour. Usually the triggers are emotional or mental stress. In case of kids look out for the signs and situations, Kids who struggle with chronic nail biting may have obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) or attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Substitute behaviour: Find a healthier alternative to nail-biting, such as using a stress ball, fidget toy, or chewing gum. Having something else to do with your hands or mouth can help redirect the urge.
- Keep nails short: Trim your nails regularly to reduce the temptation to bite them. Short nails are less satisfying to bite compared to longer ones.
- Use bitter nail polish (for females): There are specific nail polishes available in the market that have a bitter taste. Applying these can deter you or your child from putting fingers in the mouth.
- Wear gloves or band-aids: Putting on gloves or band-aids can act as a physical barrier, making it difficult to bite the nails.
- Identify triggers: Figure out what situations or emotions lead to nail-biting and try to address them directly. If stress is a trigger, consider relaxation techniques like deep breathing, meditation, or yoga. Nail biting almost always begins in childhood, for others it develops as a type of self-grooming behaviour involving biting and chewing the nails
- Set goals and reward yourself: Set achievable goals for reducing nail-biting and reward yourself or your child for progress. Celebrate small milestones to stay motivated.
- Seek support: Talk to friends, family, or a therapist about your nail-biting habit. Having a support system can provide encouragement and help you stay accountable.
- Habit-reversal training: This involves becoming aware of the nail-biting triggers and replacing the habit with a less harmful action. For example, if stress triggers nail-biting, take deep breaths or squeeze a stress ball instead.
- Positive reinforcement: Encourage and praise yourself or your child for efforts made to stop nail-biting. Positive reinforcement can be a powerful motivator.
- Professional help: In more severe cases or if the habit is causing physical damage, consider seeking help from a therapist or counsellor who specializes in habit reversal or behavioural therapy.
Remember that breaking a habit takes time and patience. Be persistent and kind to yourself or your child during the process. With dedication and the right strategies, it's possible to overcome nail-biting and promote healthier nail care habits.
Homeopathy medicines that can help you stop nail biting habit - Doctor recommended
Dr.K.S. Gopi says homeopathy is effective as it takes a holistic approach towards the sick individual through promotion of inner balance at mental, emotional, spiritual and physical levels. " When nail biting is concerned there are many effective medicines available in Homoeopathy , but the selection depends upon the individuality of the patient, considering mental and physical symptoms." he adds.
Dr.K.S. Gopi a researcher, academician, practitioner and author of best seller book Homeopathy Easy Prescriber has identified important remedies for this condition
Argentum nitricum 200 is one of the best remedies for nail biting due to nervous irritation. The patient has great anxiety, irrational fear and persistent impulsive thoughts. He imagines that he cannot pass a certain point. Peculiar mental impulses for e.g., jump when crossing a bridge or from a window, want to do things in a hurry. Fears and anxieties and hidden irrational motives for actions. Dreads ordeals. Fear of impending evil of crowds, passing a certain point of high buildings of dark. Fear of heights, flying in airplanes. The sight of high buildings makes him giddy and causes him to stagger, it seems houses on both sides of street would approach and crush him. The person is timid and anxious, panic and anxiety attacks common.
Ammonium bromatum 30 is another remedy for nail biting, which is due to nervous irritation. Irritable feeling in fingernails, better by biting it.
Calcarea carb 200 is suited to nail biting fair fatty child with large and hard abdomen. They are easily frightened or offended, susceptible to cold. Profuse sweating easily , especially on head and chest during sleep. Children are slow in teething and walk late. Craving for indigestible things like dirt, chalk, coal, pencils is a leading symptom of Calcarea carb. Also they prefer for eggs.
Cina 200 is best for nail biting seen in children due to worm troubles. In children there is extremes ill-humor and naughtiness. Child is very cross , dost not want to be touched or carried. Desires many things , but rejects everything offered. Irritation. Irritation of the nose, causing constant desire to rub, prick or press into it. Grinding of teeth during sleep is another character of Cina.
Medorrhinum 200 is indicated for nail biting in nervous restless person. They are hurried and anxious. They feel time passes too slowly. Feels life unreal, everything seems unreal. Fear in the dark and of some one behind her. Melancholy with suicidal thoughts. Difficulty in concentration.
Natrum muriaticum 200 is best nail biting seen in children due to nervous irritation. They are depressed and introverted. They are irritable and cannot cry in front of others. Children learn to talk slowly. Awkward in talking, hasty, drops things. They prefer for salt and salty foods.
Pyrites 200 - Helps to concentrate and make mind more alert and observant and reduces the anxiety marked with biting of nails
Tip For best results, the medicines should match the indicated symptoms or as advised by your doctor
Note: above medicines are available in 2-dram medicated globules or 30 ml dilutions (sealed unit).
Dosage: (Pills) Adult and children 2 years of age and older: Dissolve 4 pills under the tongue 3 times a day until relieved or as directed by a physician. (Drops): The usual dosage is 3-4 drops in a teaspoon of water 2-3 times daily. Dosage may vary depending on the conditions. Always consult a Homeopathic Physician before taking medicines
Silicea: This medicine is well indicated for managing nail damage due to constant nail biting. In cases needing it the nails are rough, brittle and yellow coloured.
Disclaimer: The medicines listed here are solely based on a suggestion made by a doctor on YouTube, Blog, Book whose reference is provided. Homeomart does not provide any medical advice or prescriptions or suggest self-medications. This is a part of the customer education initiative. We suggest you consult your physician before taking any medicines